Saturday, May 19, 2007

Giving

In giving is there much to be received. The most important of which is peace of mind.

The material world we live in is by nature fluid and ever changing. All of it is in a constant state of motion and phasement. Money earned is then spent. Favors made later repaid. Work done rewarded.

Yet how much of our material possessions do we carry to our graves? Will that car be useful for travel when you're dead? Are cosmetics and adornments any good in that grave? Will all your money pay for your afterlife? Does our insurance extend past our point of death? Obviously much of what we use and chase after now will one day be useless when we pass on from this life into the next.

Our wordly life is much like circus tokens; only worthwhile as long as we stay in that circus. Once you leave it'll all be for naught.

Matters not how much treasures you've gathered; It will all leave someday. Hoarding it will do little good for you. There is little use in wealth unspent and treasures sealed away.

Dare you keep all the gifts of God hoarded up for yourself when you need them not?

Many are the poor in this world. But a small amount of your wealth would be enough to make them happy. Enough for a loaf of bread to silence their rumbling stomachs; of a bottle of water to quench parched throats.

Yet...You need a new handphone because your current one is out of date? Or a new dress because the old is out of fashion? New shoes simply because there's a new design out in stores?

Do we really need all these things?

Then comes the question of what you gain from giving. Would you accept it if you gain absolutely nothing in return for giving to others?

If no, why not?

Again comes the question of how much we earn that follows us to our graves. Of the material absolutely nothing.

Then again, why give it when they themselves cannot bring the material to their graves either right? All that you give will be but a material and temporary joy for them too.

If you agree to the above said statement, then perhaps you know not the true meaning of thankfulness and gratefulness.

Starve yourself for a day or two, then break your fast with a slice of bread and a cup of water. Savor each bite and sip.

When you've realized how great a blessing each bite and sip is, you'll understand. And if you remember how it feels to be deprived of those gifts, you'll understand why you need to give.

Aisha(r.a) recounted that someone had presented the gift of a lamb to the Messenger of Allah(s.a.w). He distributed the meat. Aisha(r.a) said, "Only the neck is left for us."

The Prophet(s.a.w) replied "No. All of it is left for us except the neck."

What did he mean by that? Haply it is time for us to reflect.

It is the nature of existence to move on in its cycles. If we stop the flow of things by hoarding the gifts of God to the world, we merely cause chaos with our greed and selfishness.

It is about time that we begin to give. Is it not?

2 comments:

Maneesha said...

I could've simply posted a "hello and nice post" on your tagboard, but I chose otherwise.

I learnt somewhere that in giving, we in return receive the world's greatest gift. I, being as unwise and not that knowledgeable, do not know what that gift is, but I must say that if something keeps me from giving something I find is going to be valued by the receiver, I in return receive no joy, and feel only guilt (I think you feel the same way, too).

Thing is, I learnt (or at least I hope this wise person was trying to teach me this lesson) that giving doesn't only require heart, it also requires wisdom. When we give, the least we expect back is a thank you. I used to be like that, Jiz, everytime I shared a meal with someone and the person said no words of gratitude or showed no sign of appreciation, I felt hurt. I would think that that person doesn't deserve it (whatever it is). Now, I see it as a lesson learnt. I know, that no matter how nice or wise a person may be, a word of thank you in return can make someone's day, and I learn from that ignorant person to never be ungrateful of what I receive.

I like the way you mentioned starving for a few days only to appreciate the little things in life. I kinda know what you mean. I came back home the other day with a sulk on my face, upset at the world's unfair judgements towards me. I don't know if this is somehow related, but just being away from home for 7 hours, and returning to my safe haven made me appreciate my 2-bedroom dust-filled flat a lot more than I usually would.

I don't know what I'm trying to say, but I just want you to know that I posted this because I, to some extent, understand almost every word you are trying to say. And although I know there are many people who really ARE undeserving of our "gifts", there are also people like you who are too nice. =)

Take care, sweetie. Hugs!

spirit of the dark said...

ah. I appreciate your reply and thoughts very much babez.

Yes. Wisdom in giving. Perhaps it takes a lot more wisdom to give than we truly understand. :D

You may not know what you're trying to say, but you sure have said much to be pondered upon. Thank you for your thoughts. I greatly appreciate your gift. :)

:::amid the shadows of trancendence:::

thoughts, principles and philosophy is the main point of discussion. Subjects ranging from love to music and life can be discussed here. Anyone is welcome to post their thoughts on my articles in the tagboard. And feel free to tell me if you think I'm wrong. I'm open to criticism.
C. Love Poems
~-=0 The Shadows Behind Me 0=-~



lurking spirits